I'm a woman

I'm a woman
Photos copyright Laurence Gouault
No reproduction on other media without the photographer's permission.

Friday 28 March 2014

Gozo or Ghawdex, climbing or living. By Stevie Haston.

Everlasting flowers.© Laurence Gouault.Haston

Things have different names, so do people, when there are different words or we use different names sometimes we get confused and don’t recognize what we are looking at, even if we are staring in the mirror. Plus we can be different for different people, we see their need or different understanding and feed them and wonder where the feast came from when we thought there was nothing in the cupboard.
Has climbing got anything to do with living? Not a funny question for me as that’s all I have ever done it seems. On this Island that has two names where I have been climbing nearly all my living time, the sea and the wind wash away many of questions that don’t really need answers.
‘Did I tell you of my visit to Ghawdex, vulgarly called Gozo. It was a most pleasant one., I drew every bit of it…it's coastal scenery may truly be called Pomskizillous and Grophibberous being as no other words can describe its magnificence’ A guy called Edwin Lear wrote these words a long time ago when Ghawdex not Gozo was even more magnificent  and Majestic than it is today. And by the way Edwin was born on the 12 of May and of course so was I, how renobulous!
These is a particular plant that grows on the island called Maltese Everlasting that may be my favourite flowering shrub, it is endemic to only a few cliffs in the world, and  it has as it's epicenter of total manifest munificence the top of my favourite climbs, how obvious and right is that. So far correct, yeah. Well no, cos it ain't Maltese Everlasting, neither is it Gozo Everlasting, it's gotta be Ghawdex  Everlasting, or more possible Underworld Everlasting.
Salt pan, © Inigo Taylor

As Andrew Marvel said ‘Our vegetable love would grow, vaster than empires and more slow.

The rock on Gozo, Ghawdex or what ever this little rock adrift in the sea of modern Europe is called, is very beau, it's varied and jeweled  with crystals, veined , marbled, has patches of intergalactic Teflon, interspursed with the roughest rock that resembles shark skin, it's damned lovely and really tactile, it feels you. And there we have it, let's Rock. Let's Dance, let's Live.